Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Music of the West

I've collected music for my western USA road trip but none of the playlists are finished because I'd love to get recommendations from anyone who has them.  I used the same guidelines as my previous road trip - music from the states I'm driving through.  I have started a playlist for each of the states to play while I drive through it.  This was good for several reasons, aside from the obvious like not knowing what kind of mood I'll be in, what the weather will be like, or having to spend time with my eyes off the road browsing, it helped me feel more connected to each state I was in - I just cranked it and felt the people and their stories wash over me.

Here's what the lists look like so far and if you have any recommendations (bands from/formed in states I'll be in) please send it to me via email, Facebook, Twitter or whatever.

Nevada - The Killers, Panic! at the Disco, 7 Seconds
The very first time I heard Mr. Brightside I was at the gym in Edmonds Hall at BC and I knew I was going to love them.  I've seen the Killers at the Tsongas Arena with Johnny G in Lowell and at the Garden.  Both shows rocked.  Las Vegas has more hotel rooms than anywhere else in the world, too bad I won't be sleeping in one.

California - The Beach Boys, Tome Waits
Assessing the California music scene seemed overwhelming.  The Beach Boys came to mind immediately and no other band defines California rock n' roll like them, so I just put Pet Sounds on the list since I'll be in California for only a short time.  Taking another road trip up the Pacific Coast highway from San Diego to Seattle seems necessary to get a proper feel for the west coast, so that's why I only feel a little bad for shorting California.  Danny M recommended Tom Waits' Gun Street Girl so I've added that as well.

Arizona - Meat Puppets, Gin Blossoms
The state of Arizona is rich with copper, but not every state is musically rich.  My favorite Gin Blossoms Song is Alison Road.  I'll be stopping at the Grand Canyon.  Arizona has eleven types of rattlesnake.  

Utah - Imagine Dragons
The song Radioactive gets me pumped.  I'll be in Utah very briefly unless I decide to take a detour through Salt Lake City on the way back to Vegas.  The beehive is the state symbol of Utah, it symbolizes thrift and industry.  Also, polygamy.

Colorado - The Lumineers, Apples in Stereo
Stubborn Love is a great song and my favorite line is "when it got cold we bundled up".  I'll probably listen to that song and move on to New Mexico because I know Colorado, I spent time there in another lifetime.

New Mexico - The Shins
Perhaps the desert of music as well.  New Mexico has more sheep and cattle than people.

Let's pause for a moment while I play the air long bass in a seersucker suit

Texas - Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Janis Joplin, Roy Orbison, and ZZ Top
Again a seemingly endless musical history so I went for stuff that would put some hair on my chest.  The world's first rodeo was held in Texas July 4,1883 and there is such thing as jalapeƱo pepper jelly.  More land is farmed in Texas than any other state.

Oklahoma - Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, Vince Gill, The Flaming Lips
Getting my twang on.  Carrie underwood's Before He Cheats has to be the sexiest revenge song ever.  Garth Brooks, from Oklahoma, is the best selling music artist of the last 20 years, but he won't put his music on Spotify, so fuck him.

Kansas - The Embarrassment, Kansas, Joe Walsh
Fans of the Embarrassment refer to them as "the best band you've never heard of".  Can't wait to find out.  Also, can't wait to listen to Kansas in Kansas.

Nebraska - Bright Eyes
Way more cornfields in Nebraska than musicians.  Kool Aid and CliffsNotes were both invented in Nebraska.

Wyoming - The Lillingtons, Job Loy Nichols
Wyoming is the last state alphabetically but was the first to give women the right to vote.

South Dakota - The Reddmen, Indigenous 
Native American blues rock.  Bliouxs?  Yankton was the original capital of the Dakota territory, I knew that from watching Deadwood.

North Dakota - Peggy Lee
I heard the song Fever and immediately stopped looking for other artists.  I'll let Peg serenade me through North Dakota.  I found the album Essential Peggy Lee and that is exactly what I was looking for.  This video version of Fever features Marilyn Monroe.

Montana - The Decemberists, Pearl Jam
Stretched a little for Montana.  The lead singer of the Decemberists is from Montana and the bassist of Pearl Jam is from Montana.  I picked Pearl Jam's live recording at Boston's Orpheum Theater.  Again, your favorite Pearl Jam songs and other recommendations encouraged.

Idaho - Josh Ritter, Built to Spill, The Very Most
Built to Spill seems interesting and they've been described as an "unpredictable live act" so that's good. Can't wait for their 20+ minute live version of Cortez the Killer as I cruise through the Gem state.

Washington - Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Fleet Foxes
Nevermind wasn't my thing, but I put it on the list, hoping my eternal optimism will breathe a new life into Nirvana for me.  Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix are both part of the 27 Club, Janis Joplin is as well.

Oregon - The Wipers, The Dandy Warhols
Oregonians.  Oregon has more ghost towns than any other state.  The state nut of Oregon is hazelnut, which I hate.  Oregon and NJ are the only states without self-serve gas stations.

I'm sure I missed a lot.  Please send any recommendations, thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Built to Spill- Carry The Zero. Actually the entirety of Keep It Like A Secret is worth listening to, but if you had to go with one song this is it.

    ReplyDelete