Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Seattle's Meat Market

We left Lowell with my brother John just after 430 a.m.  After checking in and going through security we got coffee at Starbucks, to get in the Seattle mood.  Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile, I was nearly not allowed to board because of my supplemental oxygen concentrator.  The flight took off at 700 and at 625 I was positive I would not be allowed on with my machine and I was planning how to break the news to my mother.  I was in grace and favor of the Starbucks gods today because my doctor happened to be the doctor on call and was able to email the woman harassing me at the boarding gate and satisfy her.  So as the plane separated from earth and carried us, I was aware of the slim odds of things working out just right so I was thankful that life had smiled upon me.

I decide to bring my mother to accompany me on this trip.  She has never been to the west coast or seen the Rocky Mountains.  So, I'll allow it, since it's a short trip.
Boston

I entertained myself on the plane by reading a Chuck Klosterman book, listening to Tiesto and Lana Del Rey's new albums, and using my iPad map to spot geographical features out the northern facing window - I followed some specific bends in the Missouri River in Montana and identified Flathead Lake.

Halfway through the flight the little oxygen machine's button panel lit up like the 4th of July and shut down - I was like - oh shit.  The air quality on planes is notoriously bad and the cabin pressure is equivalent to about 7500-8000 feet above sea level.  My lungs can't handle that, so I quietly tried to figure out what to do as my mother was fake sleeping next to me.  The correct procedure was obviously take it out of it's carry bag, lay it across my lap, and stroke it, like a baby.

As I sat there with it, I noticed that it seemed very hot and probably overheated, so hopefully it just needed to cool down.  I leaned over to my mother, who's a nurse, and asked at what oxygen saturation  should I ask the cabin crew to deploy the oxygen masks.  She said 80 and we both hoped that didn't have to happen.    

I got down to 86 (if you don't know, normal oxygen saturation is above 95-96%).  After a little while I felt a little shake on my lap.  Had the oxygen machine woken up from it's mid-morning nap?  I pressed the power button and it putt-putt-putted into action so once again the day, and potentially my life, had been saved. 
My oxygen machine

I picked up a white Camry and headed to downtown Seattle to get some lunch.  Pike Place farmers market seemed like the most touristy thing to do, so we headed there.  Seattle is a very hilly city, it reminded me of San Francisco.

Pike Place is a disgusting place for tourists to buy junk.  I was only interested in the food so I just kept walking and eventually found Maximillen's and sat outside on the patio.  The view of Puget Sound was awesome.  I didn't really mind the wait for the food because it was good.  We both had the halibut.  We headed to check-in at the hotel after lunch.
Lowell will always be with me
View from Maximillian's deck
People in Seattle love peas.
Line to get in the 2nd Starbucks. Not Joking.
The most interesting, weird, and unbelievable thing about Seattle is that so many people here seem recognizable, not celebrities, almost just like people I know - the waiter at at the other table at lunch, the woman on the street, the couple in line - it's strange.  Everywhere I turn I see someone that looks similar to someone I know, but I don't know any of them.  Seattle is a city of ghosts and shadows - it's freaking me out.  And amusing me.      

Upon reaching our hotel, the fatigue set in.  I was dragging.  I've been feeling under the weather for like a week, so I needed a rest.  I got back in time to see Greece break the hearts of Ivory Coast in the World Cup and hear the talk about the Suarez biting incident. 

I'm so tired that I have to bail on the Sox game tonight, which is a bummer.  Forget the money, I need to be able to survive this trip, but it stinks.  My body is telling me it would take too much energy to go to the game, and if my body is talking to me, I have to listen.  High altitude does not agree with me, so I have to be careful and conserve my energy.  I'm a little nervous not being 100%, but you can't be afraid, that's no way to go through life.  Even when it seems like I fell on black days, you can't quit.  Giving up is the antithesis of life, when it gets hard, you just have to find a way.  So, that's what I'll do.

Did I spend my afternoon lying around whining about the Red Sox game?  No, of course not.  I've been resting and conducting a social experiment.  I downloaded Tinder and threw my self into the Seattle's romantic meat market.  I created a new profile and went fishing for some Tinderonis.  I have no intention on meeting any of these babes, if I get any, this is for science.  

Before I get to the results of this experiment, let's take a moment to acknowledge my romantic conundrum.  My mind is constantly waging an internal struggle between my wants and needs.  My Aries sun sign loves freedom and adventure and smelling all the flowers.  Opposing that, is my moon sign, Libra, which has a strong desire for partnership.  It's an eternal battle, so I suit up in my armor everyday knowing there's a chance that I may come upon the one who is connected with her goddess spirit and can enchant the warrior god.  

I swiped right (yes) on everyone that appeared, I didn't even look sometimes, just swiped, and swiped, and swiped.  Here's what I learned over the course of about three hours.

1. If you want to live in a city with good food, coffee, beer, and cheese and a seemingly endless supply of hot babes, consider Seattle.  
2. I melted down the Tinder app and it froze my phone.  I had to delete it and reinstall it.  Dodged a bullet because I didn't lose any data.
3. I got 25 matches in 3 hours.
4. Ashley, who unsurprisingly looks vaguely like someone I know, started a chat with "you're super cute".  I didn't reply.  Remember, this is for science.  
5. In Seattle, apparently, I have a type.  Here'a are the general pattern of the Seattle babes who dig me.  Between 24-38, likely have a tattoo, probably enjoy "beer" and "fun", may have a facial piercing, a little out of shape but likes the outdoors, has a dog, not the most attractive in their group of  friends, and there's a decent chance that she's showing off her "coffee makes me poop" mug in a profile picture.  Pretty eye-opening stuff.  Time to reevaluate things.  
   
Balcony view over Lake Union. My mother's friend Julie hooked it up.
After dinner I conducted phase 2.  I asked one of two questions or both.  The questions were:
1. What are your thoughts on Massachusetts?
2. Do you have any post-apocalyptic skills I should know about?

I asked one of those questions, sometimes both, didn't clarify anything or respond, and waited for answers.

Highlights of question #1 responses:

-Melissa wrote:
Other than it's in Boston I don't think I have many.  My mom is unable to say it, ends up sounding like mass of two shits. I would like to go there, I hear it's nice :)

-Bess:
It's home to the worst nfl team

-Jessica:
I love it there!

-Amanda:
Initial thoughts:
Went to Boston once in the middle of winter...loved it.
Good Will Hunting.
Salem witch trials.
Cream pie.
Jimmy Fallon Boston teens.

-Jessica:
Um...

-Polly:
Aside from the drivers I love it

-Esther:
It hasn't been a topic on which I've officially formed thoughts

Marissa:
Boston, chowda, and the Kennedys

-Joanna:
Ummm never been there.  Why? Are we going? ;)

-Rebecca:
Well, I've never been there but afraid that once I visit I'll fall in love with Boston.

-Jackie:
I never really thought about Massachusetts

-Erin:
It's a state lol

-Stephanie:
I rarely think about Massachusetts.  I'm ind of a history buff, so sometimes I consider it with the revolutionary war.

Highlights from questions #2:

-Maile:
Cat-like reflexes and I have a spidey sense

-Polly:
I can build a fire
I am a great team leader

-Jenny:
Um what makes you think that way

-Erin:
I can fish and I also have a dingo. She can climb trees. She is a good hunter. ;)

-Ashlee:
I can garden and cook and come from a hunting family

-Sarah:
Well... I took a Facebook test and it said I could personally take on 24 zombie biebers... So that's something.

-Rachel:
I'm pretty scrappy and crafty. Plus I don't know what kind of apocalypse you're envisioning so I am hesitant to divulge too much.

-Kimberly:
My family is from South Dakota, so we like to drink cheep[sic] beer and shoot guns!  Usually shoot a 12-20 gauge depending on what's around.  Not the best at target shooting.

-Stephanie:
My skill sets serve me well in this world, but I will be the first to die!

2 comments:

  1. HAHA, " Its home to the worst NFL team " … classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say phase 3 should be meet up with Joanna who responded " are we going there?" Def don't bring her home, but sounds like the perfect vacation fling. Actually, phase 3 is figuring out what to do with your mother, when you meet Joanna. Esther??? Is she like 93? Maybe she can hang with your ma.

    ReplyDelete