Monday, February 17, 2014

Scotland the Brave


Waking up at 515 was rough, but I was excited to take the ferry to Scotland.  I quickly and contemptuously ate an English muffin at the hotel after Tommy and I painted our faces.  It rained as we loaded onto the coach.  

The ferry was massive, Cathal, told me it was the medium-sized one.  It was quite luxurious.  Kate and I got coffee at a cafe on board and a woman told us that the sea was 90% calmer today than it had been, it was so rough that you couldn't even get out of your seat.  I nearly died at the thought of 2.5 hours of rough seas, but, on this rainy morning, we were in the grace and favor of Celtic Gods and our ride was nice and smooth.  I drank coffee and nearly got blown off the ship when I stepped out onto the promenade.  


We met a new bus driver who boarded us onto the new coach - all gold everything. 

Driving through western Scotland we finally got to experience some of the narrow, seemingly dangerous, and beautifully scenic roads.  Our trip up the kingsroad from Dublin to Belfast was almost entirely wide-open motorway.  

Cathal gave us some Scottish history, which is similar to Irish history in that much of it involves struggles with England.  That's what life is though - the struggle, a fight to survive.  

Out first stop in Scotland was the Robert Burns cottage and museum.  Robbie was born in a house similar to the size of the one my great grandmother was born in, in Ireland, which was a cow shed the last time I was there.





We were treated to some fine Scottish weather as Kevin drove us to Glasgow for lunch through the pissing, sideways rain.  I've been sitting in the first seat for days and it was hilarious watching Kevin and Cathal talk.  Kevin speaks a different language entirely.  I have plenty of experience with the Western European accents but Kevin is on another level.  Pretty sure he's speaking a language people stopped using 500 years ago.  I think the sheep have a better chance of understanding it.  Cathal claimed to understand 75% of what Kevin was saying but I don't think he's very good at math.  Tommy said he got the last word of every turn, maybe.  But, that was a hour or so ago and now that I'm listening on this leg of the drive I'm getting a little better.  Like the rest of us, Kevin just wants to be understood, so I'll keep listening. 

Ate lunch in Glasgow at Horton's and the tomato and basil soup was excellent and the burger was terrible.  The meat was meat too lean and overcooked.  The waiter nearly spilled Katie's soup all over her.  

We got to the King Robert Hotel around 5 p.m and after settling in I wiped the face paint off and took a nap.  Dinner was at the hotel and we were served white rice and chili - a staple of the Scottish diet.        

More photos

“My love is like a red, red rose 
That's newly sprung in June: 
My love is like the melody 
That's sweetly played in tune. 

How fair art thou, my bonnie lass, 
So deep in love am I; 
And I will love thee still, my dear, 
Till all the seas gang dry. 

Till all the seas gang dry, my dear, 
And the rocks melt with the sun;
I will love thee still, my dear, 
While the sands of life shall run. 

And fare thee weel, my only love. 
And fare thee weel awhile! 
And I will come again, my love, 
Though it were ten thousand mile.” 

“By Oppression's woes and pains!
By your sons in servile chains!
We will drain our dearest veins,
But they shall be free!

Lay the proud usurpers low!
Tyrants fall in every foe!
Liberty's in every blow!
Let us do or die!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment